There are more than 200 miles of routes and trails that take you deep into the heart of Iron County! For the ATV enthusiast, Iron County hosts the largest ATV trail system in Wisconsin! Also explore the beauty of the Ottawa National Forest with approximately one million acres of land in the Western end of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula! Enjoy the forest experience and ride some trails!
Rent an ATV or SXS from Cloverland Motors | 800-932-1202 | cloverlandmotorsports.com
- Alligator Eye: Hike about a half mile to a gorgeous overlook of Lake Gogebic.
- Bald Mountain Trail: Take a relaxed walk to the scenic overlook of the Gogebic-Penokee Range on the 0.8 mile interpretive trail.
- Corrigans Lookout: A short hike will lead you to a gorgeous overlook of Upson Lake.
- Iron Belle Trail: The Iron Belle trail is the longest designated state trail in the nation! Enjoy walking or biking on this beautiful trail with overlooks of rivers and bluffs, railroad bridges and historical sites.
- Miners Memorial Park: The Miners Memorial Heritage Park is a group of trails used for silent sport activities. While hiking these trails you can enjoy the fun interactive and interpretive signs that show the history of the miners.
- North Country Trail: The North Country National Scenic Trail stretches for about 4,600 miles from New York to North Dakota. This trail passes through the Gogebic County Forest, Ottawa National Forest, & the Porcupine Mountains. One hike on the North Country Trail is to Rainbow Falls. Head to Black River Harbor, cross the suspension bridge & hike part of the North Country Trail to see the beautiful Rainbow Fall
- Split Rock Trails: Hike, bike, or snowshoe the historic Flink Location iron ore mine. The Split Rick Trails offer a beautiful forest tour, which includes stunning scenic overlooks, various rock formations & remnants of a once thriving U.P mining town.
- Wolf Mountain: Wolf Mountain is the highest peak in Gogebic County. Once you reach the top you will get a complete 180 degree view of Gogebic County.
The growing sport of mountain biking has taken hold in the Western U.P. We offer three complete trail systems making it a biker’s paradise. Right across the street from the Big Powderhorn Lodging Office is the Powderhorn Loop of the Wolverine Trail System which offers intermediate to advance, single and double track riding. The Pines & Mines Bike Trail System is located a short drive away in Iron County, Wisconsin, and in the Ottawa National Forest you can enjoy over 200 miles of back road and out in the middle of nowhere trail riding. The Mountain Bike Trails at Copper Peak offer a great cross country mountain bike experience to those of all abilities. The ride is not a “technical” trail system, but it is made fun, challenging, and exciting by 600 feet of elevation gain over the 5.5-mile trail system. Copper Peak also offers chair lift service to allow riders to start from the top and enjoy the scenery. Every Tuesday evening in the Summer the Fat Tire Club welcomes everyone to their guided 10 to 15 mile off road ride. Click here for a full list of mountain biking trails in the area courtesy of the SISU Dirt Crew!
Check out this video of the NEW Mountain Biking Skills Course at Big Powderhorn Mountain (located across the street from the BPLA Lodging Office)