Winter snow sports and outerwear sale at the Main Lodge at Blackjack Mountain Ski Resort on Saturday, December 12, from 10am-noon. Drop off times for sale items is Thursday, December 10 & Friday, December 11 from 5:00 – 7:00 pm.
There are great events and festivals happening year round in the Western Upper Peninsula.
December 4th – 2020
The Mercer Area Chamber of Commerce, Mercer Historical Society and the Candy Cane Parade Committee work together every year to bring a fun and cheerful day of events.
New this year, we are expanding this event to multiple events and activities so everyone in the family can have some fun!
Best Time of the Year Celebration
held next to the Mercer Community Center at 12:00pm.
This event will includes:
- sleigh rides around town
- Ice rank
- local clubs and organizations
- beverages and snacks
Candy Cane Christmas Parade
Line-up will begin at 3:00pm at the Mercer DNR Ranger Station. Parade starting at 3:30pm
- Floats, decorated vehicles, walking groups will be lined up down Highway 51.
- We will be having a reverse parade where the viewers are able to drive through the parade, waving and see all the different floats and groups participating in our 2020 Christmas Parade.
- It’s free and easy to be a part of the parade; just contact the Mercer Area Chamber of Commerce and fill out a registration form.
- Entries decorated with a candy cane/peppermint theme are eligible to complete for cash awards.
- Prizes will be given to the best entries in business, individual, and non-profit categories.
Wreathing of Claire & Tree Lighting
At the end of the parade @ 4pm, next to the Mercer Area Chamber of Commerce, we will have Santa and Ms. Claus stopping by to see all the little boys and girls.
- Santa will be helping us with our Annual Tree Lighting and Wreathing of Claire.
- We could not do this without members of the Mercer Fire and EMS Departments helping place the wreath, created by Wendy Dierbeck, around Claire d’Loon’s neck, the 16-foot tall loon that stands at the Mercer Area Chamber of Commerce.
- Hot Chocolate, Cookies, and Goodie bags for kids.
European Christmas Market
From 3pm-7pm the Pines Restaurant and Beer Garden.
- Outdoor vendors
- a bonfire
- live music
- food and drink
- And a very merry time.
Mercer Lighted House Tour
- Residents who decorate their house to submit an application.
- The Mercer Chamber of Commerce will be putting together a map to showcase the best tour route to see all the decorated houses.
- We will be posting photos of the households to post for people to vote online.
- The best decorated will win a prize.
Mercer Business Decoration Contest
- We are asking that businesses decorate part of your establishment. This is where you can be very creative.
- As not every business or non-profit has a storefront.
- This could be a window display, decoration of a door, house, shop, or the inside of the establishment itself.
- We will be posting all of the entries to contest onto a Facebook online poll, where people can vote on the best decorated.
Northwoods Winter Wonderland Passport
- Working with local businesses, organizations, or partners to put together a passport of different places to go, events happening in the area or just some holiday fun!
- Participants will be able to pick up a passport and work on it from December 5, 2020 to February 28, 2021.
- Once you completed the passport, all you have to do is turn it in and be entered in for a prize!
This town-wide celebration would not be possible without the help and support of the Candy Cane Committee, Mercer Historical Society, Mercer Fire & EMS Departments, Mercer Loons, Mercer School, Town of Mercer, Iron County Sheriff’s Department, and Santa & Mrs. Claus.
3rd Annual Boozy Bake-Off Sunday December 13, 2020! Baking with booze taste testing and judging by our customers will be during halftime of the Packers/Lions game! Contestants must provide recipe to prove booze was used to create their concoction! Enjoy $2 cans of beer and snacks during the game provided by Yukon 51!
1st place-$50 Yukon Gift Certificate
2nd place-$25 Yukon Gift Certificate
HO HO SNOW!
Dress up like Santa (the whole deal..) and SKI FREE on Friday, December 18th, 2020 with a BONUS free Lift ticket when wearing the Santa Suit on Christmas Day at BOTH Indianhead & Blackjack Mountains! Two FREE days of skiing if you are spreading the Santa joy!!!
Free skiing for everyone in the red suit for all the jolly ones!
Please stay safe and ride the lifts only with the ones you came with!
Dress up like Santa (the whole deal..) and SKI FREE on Christmas Day at BOTH Indianhead & Blackjack Mountains!
Free skiing/boarding for everyone in the red suit for all the jolly ones!
One dozen years holding strong!!! Make plans to attend our Annual Community Bonfire as the Norrie Club holds the 12th Annual “Light Up The Night” Christmas Tree Burning Party & Snowshoe Hike. It’s a fun community event for everyone of all ages.
Twelve years in a row and we’ll set the trees ablaze at 7pm!!! If all goes as planned, our neighbors at Manny’s Restaurant will be serving their amazing Steak & Chicken Buffet prior to the night’s event, so make sure to fill your belly prior to the fire! The fire happens at the North end of our parking lot, located in the Norrie Location of Ironwood adjacent to Randa Softball Field, not far from Hiawatha “The World’s Biggest Indian”. A short snowshoe hike for all skill levels will take place prior to the fire at approximately 6pm with the fire to begin @ 7pm. DJ Jackal will be playing all of your favorite Hits & Bonfire Party Tunes all evening. As we have in the past, a campfire will be started early so the kids can roast marshmallows provided by the members of the Club. Free Hot Chocolate inside the Clubhouse and a beverage trailer will be located onsite at the fire. All are welcome to attend the snowshoe hike & fire.